Dear FASFAA Family,
I am excited to be able to serve as your 2015-16 FASFAA President. I am looking forward to seeing what good things take place in our state this year. A new year always brings excitement and a renewed sense of energy. Looking ahead, our theme for the year is “Pursue Excellence”. Edwin Bliss once said, “The pursuit of excellence is gratifying and healthy. The pursuit of perfection is frustrating, neurotic, and a terrible waste of time.” This excellence we are to pursue can be in our profession/career, but also in our personal life (hobbies, sports), and/or our family life.
I want to encourage you briefly about your involvement in FASFAA.
There are at least two ways you can be involved in your Association…
1. Participate - There are many ways to participate in FASFAA
2. Volunteer –Whether you have been in financial aid for 3 months or 30 years, you can get involved and volunteer.
- Regional Workshops – Florida is divided into five regions (http://www.fasfaa.org/regions). Each region holds two workshops each year. One of the benefits of being a FASFAA member is you can attend the regional workshops in the fall and spring. They are FREE!
- There are other ways to participate…There will be a Clock-Hour Workshop held this year as well as a New Aid Officer Workshop. As many schools are beginning to offer clock-hour programs, it may be beneficial for you to attend the Clock-Hour Workshop. If you are new to the financial aid profession, consider attending the New Aid Officer Workshop. Be sure to check the FASFAA Home Page for important calendar dates (http://www.fasfaa.org).
- For the new person that has been working in financial aid for 3 months, there are opportunities for you to volunteer and get to know others around the state. (https://fasfaa.memberclicks.net/volunteer)
- For the experienced financial aid professional, are you still giving back to your Association like you used to? I would like to thank people like Bill Spiers, FASFAA President in 1989-90, still involved in FASFAA today.
I would also like to congratulate Stephanie Lawrence on a great 2014-15 year. Her theme of “Reshaping Tomorrow’s Leaders Today” was evident in the FASFAA Leadership Experience she launched with the new mentor/mentee program.
And finally, this is YOUR Association. What do you want from it?
Looking forward to another great year,
2015-16 FASFAA President